On July 13th of 1985...
The Live Aid concerts take place in Philadelphia and London
to raise money for the hungry in Africa...
Live Aid was a dual-venue concert held on 13 July 1985, and an ongoing music-based fundraising initiative. The original event was organised by Bob Geldof and Midge Ure to raise funds for relief of the ongoing Ethiopian famine. Billed as the "global jukebox", the event was held simultaneously at Wembley Stadium in London, England, United Kingdom (attended by 72,000 people) and John F. Kennedy Stadium in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States...
Attended by about 100,000 people.
On the same day, concerts inspired by the initiative happened in other countries, such as the Soviet Union, Japan, Austria, Australia and West Germany. It was one of the largest-scale satellite link-ups and television broadcasts of all time: an estimated global audience of 1.9 billion, across 150 nations, watched the live broadcast.
The Beach Boys...The Four Tops...Paul McCartney...Tina Turner...Elton John...David Bowie...The Who...Queen...Eric Clapton...Bob Dylan and many others all take part.
London, Wembley Stadium Presenters
1) Richard Skinner — opened the show
and introduced Charles, Prince of Wales with Diana, Princess of Wales
2) Tommy Vance — introduced Coldstream Guards, Status Quo, The Style Council,
The Boomtown Rats, Nik Kershaw, U2 and Dire Straits
3) Harvey Goldsmith — introduced Adam Ant
4) Andy Peebles — introduced Spandau Ballet, Elvis Costello, Noel Edmonds, Howard Jones, Bryan Ferry, Paul Young, Griff Rhys Jones with Mel Smith and David Bowie
5) Noel Edmonds — introduced Sting with Phil Collins Griff Rhys Jones,
Mel Smith and Martina Duffy — introduced Queen
6) Jack Nicholson, Tommy Vance and Martina Duffy - introduced The Who
7) Billy Connolly — introduced Elton John
8) John Hurt — introduced Freddie Mercury with Brian May
Philadelphia, John F. Kennedy Stadium Presenters:
1) Bill Graham — introduced Jack Nicholson (before his first and last appearance),
Chevy Chase with Joe Piscopo, Marilyn McCoo, Dire Straits, Santana, Bette Midler,
Don Johnson, Eric Clapton and Dionne Warwick
2) Jack Nicholson — introduced Joan Baez, Bryan Adams, U2, The Who and Bob Dylan
3) Chevy Chase and Joe Piscopo — introduced The Hooters
4) Chevy Chase — introduced Four Tops, Billy Ocean, Black Sabbath, REO Speedwagon,
Judas Priest, David Bowie, Kenny Loggins and Duran Duran
5) Joe Piscopo — introduced Run–D.M.C., Rick Springfield, Simple Minds and Neil Young
6) Marilyn McCoo — introduced The Beach Boys
7) George Segal — introduced George Thorogood and the Destroyers
8) Grace Slick — introduced Pretenders
9) Bette Midler — introduced Madonna, Thompson Twins, Patti LaBelle and Mick Jagger
10) Don Johnson — introduced Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers and The Power Station
11) Jack Nicholson & Bette Midler — introduced Phil Collins
12) Phil Collins — introduced Led Zeppelin
13) Dionne Warwick — introduced Hall & Oates